No Body Should Ride Alone!

Help My Win An ElliptiGo 8C For My Husband!

Photo of an ElliptiGo 8C in motion.

I entered a video submission to win an Elliptigo 8C for my husband, and MY VIDEO was one of the 6 finalist chosen. The winner is the video with the most votes. Please go to the link and vote for my video so I will not have to E-Go alone anymore.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Balance, It Is More Than Just A Core Issue.


Yesterday, I watched Serena Williams win Olympic Gold in Singles Tennis.  I watched her dance her of joy, and shout with glee.  At that time I was dealing with my own defeat, having not been able to complete the 30 mile ride I had planned.  At that time I was researching the reason I was having stomach pains, and why I felt like my leg were led from the start of my ride.  I found some very resourceful information, and a blog that was extremely helpful, Tuned In To Cycling (TITC).  I will follow this blogger, because he and his wife are both long distance cyclist, and they provide information in a way that explains the science in a way that I can understand. Because of this information I was able to go out again today, and do a full 30 mile ride.  It was hard, but I was able to do it.  I was dancing in my head, and definitely cheering myself on, LOUDLY, as I realized I was going to be able to complete the ride.  As usual, the last 3 miles were killers, but completed.  E-GO ME!

What I understand is that I was doing it ALL WRONG; initial approach, action, and follow through, at least from the approach of NUTRITION. 

My reason for riding the ElliptiGo was based in my need for low-impact cardiovascular activity.  I use to jog.  I did not LOVE doing it, but I liked the result.  I was never able to run more than 4 miles, but the weight-loss was accelerated, and that was what I wanted.  Looking back, I hit a wall at 4 miles.  At the time I had adopted a life style and a way of eating that was healthy, but focused on weight loss.  I noticed that sometimes I needed to eat more in order to have the energy I needed.

Unlike jogging, I do love riding the E-Go.  However, I have noticed that when I go over 20 miles, I hit a wall.  My body just gives out, like yesterday. I had hydration (Propel) and an energy gel, but from the start I felt like I had led in my legs.  At 15 miles I felt ravenously hungry, and used the energy gel with fluid.  By mile 16 my stomach hurt and I had the shakes, and the ride was prematurely over.

What I learned from the TITC blog that, because of my focus on weight loss in my nutrition,  my ride was doomed form the start.  I had not eaten the right things at the right time after my ride on Friday, and the energy in my muscles was low.  I had waited to ingest the energy gel when I was very hungry, when I needed to do so before I felt hungry.  I had not ingested enough fluid when I took the energy gel, which most likely led to my stomach pain.  Also, Propel is good for general hydration for short work-outs (less than 40 minutes in average heat), but for long rides, carbohydrates and more electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium) are needed. 

So, without paraphrasing the TITC blog, I need to balance my diet to allow for the energy needed for the ride, and if I do so wisely, I will still lose weight.  It can be a win-win.

The TITC blog has several posts that I found helpful:

No comments:

Post a Comment