No Body Should Ride Alone!

Help My Win An ElliptiGo 8C For My Husband!

Photo of an ElliptiGo 8C in motion.

I entered a video submission to win an Elliptigo 8C for my husband, and MY VIDEO was one of the 6 finalist chosen. The winner is the video with the most votes. Please go to the link and vote for my video so I will not have to E-Go alone anymore.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Be Kind To Your Knees, You'll Miss Them When They're Gone.


I started PT  Wednesday, and needed to do the daily exercises.  Apparently my knee issues start with my hip rotation and weak/tight hip flexor.   

As I understand it, the hip flexors my hip flexors (one of the most powerful muscle groups of the body)are used to help balance the torso over the legs.  They consist of two muscles, the iliacus and the psoas major.  These muscles are involved in step length, functional hip joint mobility, and directional change.  When these are weak or tight, they restrict the movement of the hip, joint.  This limits the rotation of the femur bone which has a groove or “Track” for the Patella to glide over.  This lack of rotation causes the patella to not seat on the groove properly, and puts undue stress on the underside of the Patella, as well as inflammation of the soft tissue around the knee.

Because my job requires that I sit in front of a computer for long periods of time, are not used and become tight.  This is due to a lack of stretching due to lack of movement.   This is causing me to really considered making a standing desk for my computer at work.

The therapist also helped me adjust my brace, and showed how it placed counter pressure on my Patella, forcing it to stay in the groove.  I need to wear it when I am active, but not during my normal activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment