No Body Should Ride Alone!

Help My Win An ElliptiGo 8C For My Husband!

Photo of an ElliptiGo 8C in motion.

I entered a video submission to win an Elliptigo 8C for my husband, and MY VIDEO was one of the 6 finalist chosen. The winner is the video with the most votes. Please go to the link and vote for my video so I will not have to E-Go alone anymore.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Mechanics of E-Go riding Vs. running, and how it has related to my feet.


I love my E-Go, and riding it has been a joy, with one exception.

My toes.

Initially, I was wearing cross trainers (Nike or New Balance) and noted that on rides lasting more than 30 minute, my toes hurt. They were being crammed into the toe-box of the shoes. I never had this problem when I ran because the motion of each stride pulls the foot back into the heel of the shoe. On the E-Go, the forward motion drives the toes into the toe box, but there is no impact to drive the heel back, so my toes take a lot of pressure. On my long rides it is unbearable, and a reason I will stop striding in order to take my feet off the platform and rotate my foot until the pressure is relieved.

Last month I was advised to use my running shoes when riding my E-Go.   I then went out and bought a new pair of running shoes (Under-Armour) and found they were only slightly better. I have been feeling a little bewildered.

On, August 5th, was going for a short ride.  I had my Keen sandals on, so I just wore them instead of lacing up. I found that my feet were very comfortable throughout the ride. I was amazed, and I do not know why there is such a difference, but there is almost no foot slide. On August 9th,  I used them again for my Tempo Ride (45 minutes) and found that they were just as comfortable. Today  I went out for an intended 30 mile ride (cut short by a flat tire at the 25th mile).  I wore my Keens today, through the entire ride.  I packed my other shoes in the back-pack, just in case I needed them, which I did not.

This issue has inspired me to look at th REI website (I LOVE REI) to gain some insight. I have looked at the Keen cycle sandals and shoes.  So far I have not discovered any noted reason for the way the shoes fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment